Michael Levy has an almost exclusively criminal defence practice in both serious crime and fraud.
Michael has been instructed in a large number of high profile cases. He is highly regarded and is regularly instructed, often as leading counsel, in some of the most serious cases to come before the courts.
Michael is a very persuasive advocate, he is extremely experienced in all areas of general crime – including murder, manslaughter, major drug cases, robberies and serious sexual offences.
Michael is also regularly instructed in private or non-legally aided cases and offers a personalised and discreet service. He is renown for his client care and is often instructed to advise at the earliest stages of an investigation – both pre and post charge.
Michael is permitted by the Bar Council to accept instructions under the Direct Access scheme.
Throughout his extensive career, Michael has regularly been instructed in some of the most serious cases to come before the courts.
- R v Juma (2015): Conspiracy to pervert course of justice. Attempts made to frighten witness, a solicitor. Attempts included shooting at and throwing a live grenade, which exploded, at his front door.
- R v Murphy & Others: “The Foxtrot Five” still one of the largest drug importations (cocaine) into this country. Valued in excess of £125million. Secured acquittal of client.
- R v Saunders: The Court of Appeal allowed an appeal and quashed the conviction for Assisting an Offender in a murder case. The Court was persuaded that the trial judge had failed to give adequate directions to the jury.
- R v Savill: Sex case involving unusual sexual acts and the ability to consent.
- R v Cook & Others: Mutiny and riot at Lincoln Prison. Authorities lost control and the inmates took over entire prison.
- R v Oliver: Haulage Company involved in large scale conspiracy to alter and falsify tachographs. Largest prosecution of its kind in North East England.
- R v Megne: Large scale Eastern European people smuggling.
- R v Jeans & Others: Drug importation reported as Van Bokkum and others.
- R v Drew: Secured acquittal of Principal Defendant in a large scale escort and prostitution conspiracy.
- R v Whitworth: Importation of cigarettes and tobacco.
- R v Disney & Others: Large scale drug importation.
- R v Thame: Large scale importation.
Michael is regularly instructed in all types of serious and complex fraud – both corporate and personal.
- R v Mackay: Fraud by Directors of Derby County Football Club
- R v Ebbrell 1 & 2: Operation Euripus – VAT Fraud involving missing traders (one of largest ever fauds of its kind).
- R v MacMakin: Operation Stockade – fraud involving Bonded Warehouses and non-payment of duty (the largest ever single warehouse duty evasion fraud).
- R v Williams: Multi-million pound fraud on Network Rail.
- R v Roberts: Large scale international money-laundering.
- R v Whitworth: Multi-million pound excise duty and VAT fraud
- R v Collins: VAT fraud
- R v Kerry: VAT fraud
- R v Khaliq: Nigerian advance fee fraud
Murder & Manslaughter
Michael has been instructed in many murder cases.
- R v Glen: Contract killing. Murder case in which convicted murderer is released and kills again. First ever murder trial in which the Crown sought to adduce the Defendants previous conviction for murder.
- R v Uddin: Leading case on joint enterprise in Murder.
- R v Saunders
- R v Walsh
- R v Didier
- R v Correia
Serious Sexual Offences
Michael has represented many clients involved in a variety of sexual offences including rape and sexual assault – both in relation to recent and historic allegations. He is used to dealing with vulnerable and child witnesses.
Michael is regularly instructed in all types of Regulatory & Disciplinary cases.
He regularly sits as a Legal assessor at the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC). He is also appointed to sit as a Legal Assessor at the General Chiropractic Council (GCC).
Michael undertakes all cases involving prosecutions by Trading Standards.
- R v Campbell & Others: In relation to sale of Alarm Systems.
Michael has recently been instructed to advise pre-inquest in relation to high profile death.
Michael is instructed in every type of motoring case, often on behalf of well-known individuals.
Michael recently advised in relation to criminal offences committed in Ukraine. He has also advised informally in relation to Banking Fraud in Russia.
Michael is approved to conduct cases at the International Criminal Court (ICC)
- R v Serafimowicz: First ever prosecution under the War Crimes Act . Michael was the first barrister to be instructed to defend in a case arising out of World war Two since the Nuremburg Trials.
- R v Jelesic: International Court in the Hague in relation to War Crimes in the Former Yugoslavia.
- “Very client friendly and fearless.” Legal 500 2015
- Association Of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- British Academy Of Forensic Science
- British Russian Law Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- European Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit