What We Do…
- Professional Discipline
- Health and Safety
- Sports Law
- Civil Asset Recovery/Forfeiture
- Financial Services Regulation
- Coroners Inquests
- Public Inquiries
- Judicial Review
- Environmental Enforcement
- Military Law
Chambers has enormously wide experience acting on behalf of both individuals and companies accused of, or being investigated for, fraud. Our success on behalf of our clients has been recognised with many professional awards.
The Legal 500 in their 2010 edition said of us:
"2 Bedford Row is almost a brand - if the barristers are good enough to be there, they must be very good indeed."
Chambers and Partners 2010 commented:
"2 Bedford Row is involved in many of the largest and most high-profile fraud cases around. Its barristers are best known for their work on the defence side, but a number of them also handle major prosecutions for the likes of the SFO and the FSA. Support comes from a team of clerks led by the immensely respected John Grimmer. They are, according to sources, "always willing to go above and beyond what is required to assist."
We provide clear advice from the earliest stages of an investigation and representation before the courts at any subsequent trial and ensure clients receive detailed knowledge of:
- the powers of the particular investigating body;
- the likely steps to be taken by the prosecuting authority;
- appropriate strategies to be adopted by the client when faced with such an investigation; and
- representation in all courts should a matter be pursued to trial.
Our aim is to provide a service that best meets the needs of the client (particularly where a criminal trial may ensue).
Members are frequently instructed prior to charge and advise at the investigatory stages on such matters as:
- the seizure of privileged material;
- legality of search warrants;
- the approach to be taken upon receipt of orders issued under section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987; and
- tactics to be deployed pre-charge including the best approach to voluntary interviews, mandatory interviews and interviews under caution.
Members of Chambers have been instructed in most of the leading fraud trials of the last ten years including, Maxwell, B.C.C.I., Brent Walker, Wickes plc, Jubilee Line, The Arrows, Allied Resources, W.S.T.C., Bute Mining, Alpine Double Glazing, Resort Hotels, Richmond Oil and Gas, The Cheney Pension Fraud, R. v. Asil Nadir (all SFO prosecutions) as well as prosecutions brought by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, the FSA and the Department of Business.